For the first time ever, McAfee researched which superheroes are kryptonite on the web and result in bad links, including viruses, malware, and sites laden with malicious software designed to steal passwords and personal information.
The top 15 villainous superheroes for online surfers this year are:
McAfee’s Top 15 Most Toxic Superheroes:
1. Aquaman: 18.60%
2. Mr. Fantastic: 18.22%
3. The Hulk: 17.30%
4. Wonder Woman: 16.77%
5. Daredevil: 16.70%
6. Iron Man: 15.63%
7. Superman: 15.21%
8. Thor: 15.10%
9. Green Lantern: 15.00%
10. Cyclops: 14.40%
11. Wolverine: 14.27%
12. Invisible Woman: 12.40%
13. Batman: 12.30%
14. Captain America: 11.77%
15. Spider-Man: 11.15%
*% indicates chance of landing on a website that has tested positive for online threats such as spyware, adware, spam, phishing, viruses or other malware.
Robert Siciliano, McAfee’s Online Security Expert, shares more information about how criminals follow the news and trends to take advantage of enthusiastic fans and tips on how these fans should protect themselves against toxic viruses and malware in “Aquaman, King of the Seven Seas May Also be King of Threats”.
Tips to Stay Protected:
- Be suspicious: If a search turns up a link to free content or too-good-to-be-true offers, be wary
- Beware: Of content that prompts you to download anything before providing you with content. You may want to opt to watch streaming videos or download content from an established site, such as Hulu, Netflix, NBC, or ABCtv.
- Free downloads: Are significantly the highest virus-prone search terms. Anyone searching for videos or files to download should be careful as not to unleash malware on their computer.
- Double-check the web address: Look for misspellings or other clues that the site you are going to may not be safe.
For More Information:
- To continue the conversation, follow @McAfeeConsumer on Twitter and tweet your thoughts with the hashtag #toxicsuperhero.
- Web surfers should visit the McAfee Security Advice Center and Facebook page at www.facebook.com/mcafee for information on the latest threats, and tips on surfing safely.
Research was conducted during June and July 2013 on the top superheroes with upcoming film releases or films released over the last few years. The study uses McAfee® SiteAdvisor® site ratings, which indicate which sites are risky to search for superhero names on the Web and calculate an overall risk percentage. For example, fans searching for “Green Lantern and free torrent download,” “Green Lantern and watch,” “Green Lantern and free trailer,” etc. are at risk of running into online threats designed to steal personal information. Clicking on these risky sites and downloading files like pictures and videos exposes surfers or consumers to the risk of downloading viruses and malware.